The rank of Captain was among the most broadly used military ranks in the galaxy. It was used by both the Freedom Coalition and the Yellow Star Alliance, and found home in both their naval and army organizations, respectively. It even, occasionally, was used as a military intelligence rank.
The rank of Captain was usually recognized as belonging to the Commanding Officer of a starship. This was true in both the Coalition Space Fleet and the Legionnaire Navy. The Captain of a starship would report directly to his superior officer, which would usually be a Coalition Rear or Vice Admiral, or a Triumvirate Baron or Regent Admiral.
The rank of Captain was also used in ground-based armed units, and usually belonged to the Commanding Officer of a specific army unit.
- In the Coalition Marine Corps, a Captain (Capt, grade O3) was usually in command of a marine platoon, and would report to the Major in command of the company.
- In the Coalition Starfighter Corps, the Captain (Capt, grade O3) was usually an experienced pilot that would serve as Executive Officer to the Major in command of a starfighter squadron.
- In the Legion Army, a Captain was usually in command of a company, and would report to the Major in command of the battalion.
The rank of Captain was also utilized by Coalition Military Intelligence. It was considered an "in-field rank", and was only assigned to those who conducted field work in conjuction with the military. The Intel Captain (IntCap, grade O3) would usually serve as Field Team Commanders during a military environment.
- Alan Metler - Commanding Officer, CSC Lilith's Omen (2182-2193)
- Frederick "Bear" Crosley - Commanding Officer, CSD Triumphant (??-2193)
- Robert Miles - Commanding Officer, CSFC Churchill (??-2193)
- Jill Harris - Commanding Officer, CGS Salamand (??-2193)
- Orland Jonet - Commanding Officer, CGS Corsair (??-2193)
List of Army Captains
Coalition Army Captains
Triumvirate Army Captains